From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 16:30:29 -0600
To all those who sent me breastfeeding books to be forwarded on to Lithuania
-- they got there!  Today, I got the sweetest, hand-written, four-page note
from Dr. Vitkousakis.

Here is part of what he writes:

Greetings from Lithuania!  It was the beginning of September when I had
received the large parcel from USA.  And it was great surprise for me.
Well, I expected the book I asked you, and maybe some more books, but such a
big pack of them was like miracle I had never even dreamt of . . . I am very
grateful for your present what is very valuable.  Also I appreciate the
generosity of all persons who donated.  Wonderful books!"

[He writes that from my description of kwashiorkor in Mali in my book
"Dancing Skeletons" he realizes they have children with kwashiorkor in
Lithuania, due to a diet of potatoes, bread, and sweetened tea.  Kwashiorkor
is due to sufficient calories but insufficient protein.]

"Yes, such a big pile of interesting books you sent me will not allow me to
escape the pleasure of reading them for a long time.  And not even for me
alone; some of the books are in many copies, so I can share them with
like-minded.  Now, when I have so abundant source of knowledge, I decided to
make a challenge for myself to prepare for performing the courses on
breastfeeding for our town and region health workers . . . Thank you for
your understanding and support."

It is a very gracious and sweet letter, and he included a photo of the
capitol of Lithuania, Vilnius (very beautiful city with hills and rivers)
and a photo of his family, including his wife and three children.

So, a big warm THANK YOU from me to all those of you who contributed to the
book package to Lithuania!!!  And if anyone is contemplating travelling to
Lithuania any time soon -- you have a contact.

Kathy Dettwyler