From:
Rachael Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2007 14:21:20 +1000
Hello wise womyn,

sorry for cross posts, but this is urgent!

I have a question in urgent need of answering. My client birthed at 34+ a ? few days (PLROM) and the nursery staff are denying mum from doing Kangaroo mother care (KMC). Babe is now of the CPAP and doing well, considering.

I would like to facilitate KMC at this hospital. I am hoping someone can offer some advice for suggestions or me to be able to do this. Perhaps current research...?  As I am not employed by the hospital but work for the womyn.   I know most hospitals don't promote KMC, but my understanding that is this is the best research and recommended.

They are not letting mum breastfeed the baby, nor have they supplied a Lactation Consultant. She lives just over an hour from the hospital and they are also not funding hotel money for them to stay in the same town as the baby. This cost is totally out of pocket.

Thanks in advance,
Rachael
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
GentleBirth Pregnancy and Birth Education
Rachael Austin
RN, EM, IPN, Adv. CBE
Midwife in Private Practice
Ph: (07) 49 931 213
Fax: (07) 49 931 341
Mob: 0419750 780
Email: [log in to unmask]
www.gentlebirth.com.au

2008 - The Year of Homebirth Awareness.
Help support and value women. Protect their babies.
Tell everyone you know that homebirth exists as a VALID birthing choice!