From:
Steve Knudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 21:34:38 -0800
Hi, I'm an LC in hospital from Kamloops BC Canada.For the past several years we have followed the same protocol with regard to handling of electric breastpump attachment kits and milk containers. Attachment kits are to be cleaned after each use with warm soapy water, rinsed and left to air dry in a basin. Sterile volufeeds were used for milk collection.

As volufeeds are no longer supplied to the hospital by the formula company, our unit manager has decided that mothers may start with a sterile set up and simply use it for the duration of their stay (even if 5 days). This also includes the milk collection bottles, sterile containers are unnecessary.

I am aware of the Recommendation for the Handling and Storage of Breastmilk in Hospitals for mothers put out by the human milk bank of North America. Aseptic milk collection containers are recommended, states not necessary to have sterile containers. Washing equipment in hot soapy water is recommended between pumping. Does this mean a sterile setup at any given time frame is unnecessary?

At present there is no way to enforce guidelines regarding this issue. Our rooms are not clean, especially bathrooms. All too often the pumps are not cleaned between pumpings or may be rinsed and left wet in bathroom sinks. The information given to patients is inconsistent. I only work two 7 hrs shifts a week as the LC and find our conditions appalling. The moms are usually pumping for babies in the ICN (preemies and ill babies). They are tired and stressed - I am worried this may become a major infection control issue.

Can anybody working as an LC in a hospital help me? Have you faced similar issues and if so what did you do about it? Any hospital not sterilizing pump kits or collection containers? If not, any infection control issues?

If this issue is not resolved our infection control nurse has threatened to take our electric pumps!

Help!  Deb  K, RN,BSN,IBCLC