From:
Johanna Berger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 09:12:40 -0600
I, too, have thought about this mom all day.  The first piece that
troubles me (actually makes the steam come out of my ears) is people
thinking that they will just start bottle-feeding the baby and then mom
won't have a choice.  What a betrayal to this mother!  I find this
entirely unethical and unprofessional.

I agree with Lorri, this mom is not stupid nor incompetent.  She needs to
be fully informed about how her child is doing.  She needs to see her
child (if she is able to).  While all involved appear to *want what's
best* for mom, they have forgotten what she really wants.

Yes, she appears to need haldol.  It will probably work wonders for her.
There is probably another solution to this sad situation.  Hopefully, mom
can find a really good therapist who will help her come to terms with her
illness and what her baby needs.  Better to have a healthy, stable mom
with a bottle-fed baby than a psychotic mom who is unable to parent.
Just my .02 cents

Johanna Berger, LSW
Breastfeeding Counselor
Bala Cynwyd, PA