From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 23:03:49 -0500
Jay:  There is a prevalent misconception in this country about prozac
(and the other newer SSRI class of antidepressants) being better
antidepressants than the traditional ones such as amitriptylene,
nortriptylene, desipramine and other tricyclic drugs.  To my knowledge,
prozac and its fellow new generation antidepressants are no more
effective.  The reason for their popularity is fewer side effects, less
risk of fatal overdose, generally less need to increase doses (i.e. tend
to be effective at one dose rather than needing frequent dose adjustments
and measurements of blood levels), and their convenient once-daily
dosing.  So if a woman is in need of an antidepressant, her depression
could be treated just as effectively with a drug which has more
breastfeeding data.  Although even nortriptylene, desipramine and
amitriptylene are on the AAP list of "use with caution, long term effects
unknown", we have studies to show minimal levels in breast milk (see
archives).  Hope this helps.  Alicia. [log in to unmask]