From:
Kika Baeza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 04:58:57 -0500
Hello everyone,

I have just given a ten hour course on lactation for professionals at a
hospital in Madrid. When I spoke about the management of engorgement,
everyone was shocked to learn that feeding on demand reduces the incidence
of engorgerment... they where also astounded by RPS. They told me that in
the ER of their hospital, the way engorgement was managed was by giving
the woman intramuscular pitocin shots, first one, and if the problem didnt
recede, another shot an hour later. The funny thing is they dont really
know if it works because after the second shot they send the woman home. I
had never heard of this practice and I was wondering if any of you have...
anyway, I strongly suggested they experiment with on demand feeding to
prevent, and RPS, cold, cabbage leaves, hand expression and so on. When I
told them one of beauties of RPS was that the baby could then nurse and
empty the breast, a nurse said that the problem in the ER is that women
are attended by OBs and they treat the woman but not the mother. I liked
that sentence.

Kika Baeza
Family doc in Spain

BTW THANK YOU Linda Smith for your Coachs Notebook!!!! They loved the
games and we all learned a lot. A great resource.