From:
Fiona Coombes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 14:54:25 +0800
Recently I have seen several women who have been treating
themselves for apparent thrush on the nipple with over-the-counter
antifungals.
Unfortunately there is one at least which sounds good (a 'soothing
balm'), but contains phenethyl alcohol, dimethicone and bufexamac
(an anti-inflammatory) as well as miconazole.
In each case the mother has developed an eczema-like skin
reaction, and they couldn't figure out why the 'thrush' was getting
worse the more they used the topical treatment. We stopped the
antifungal, started a steroid cream and things settled-down quickly.
If you see or talk to mothers in this situation, it may be worth
checking what other ingredients are in their antifungal.

Fiona
Hot and humid in Perth Australia

Fiona Coombes MBBS IBCLC               [log in to unmask]
Lactation Consultant, Family Physician
Perth Western Australia