From:
Wendi Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 2002 11:44:34 -0800
Trish,

I know that you have had so many wonderful responses.  I have learned a lot
today as a result of your posting.  Thank-you!  I do have an anecdotal
experience to share.  I have a close friend (I have her permission to post)
who breastfed her first child for only a short time.  He was completely
weaned to bottles of EBM by three months.  He did take a bottle during the
next 9 months, his mother pumped for him during that time.  He weaned to a
cup around a year old.  Fast forward to three years old.  Mom and son were
at a friends house that had a new baby that was nursing.  Son asked mom
about what the baby was doing, asked if he had done that and had mom tell
his nursing story.  He asked if he could try again, that he wanted to nurse.
She consented and he nursed, very poorly at first.  He didn't latch on well
and it was quite painful for mom.  Well within a week mom had taught him how
to latch using a combination of words and mouth motions to show him what to
do.  He was able to adjust his latch to have painfree nursing for mom.  She
was never able to get any milk, she had completely dried up, but he went on
to dry nurse for three more years, weaning at age six.  He would nurse at
least once a day and often more depending on the circumstances.  She has
gone on to nurse her second son for an extended period.  I think that you
deserve some sort of medal for what you have done so far.  I can't think of
a more loving mother.  You have worked so hard and have overcome so much.  I
wasn't going to post as there has been so much amazing info already.  I did
think that you would appreciate this story though.  I hope that it helps in
someway even if just to let you know that anything is possible.  You are an
inspiration to us all today, making our jobs just a little bit easier
knowing that there are moms like you out there!  Keep up the great work,
your son will thank you for it someday!

Wendi Jones
breastfeeding advocate
http://www.lactivist.com