From:
Morgan Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Aug 2008 11:33:53 +0100
Well, I think this one comes under there is no 'one way' to do things.
As a huge floppy breasted Mama, who, perhaps pertinently, started her
breastfeeding whilst huge and floppy breasted (I imagine some Mamas got
bigger and floppier as age progressed!)... bringing baby to the breast
nearly wiped us out.

"Bring Baby To The Breast" was my midwife's mantra.  And it's not
actually that possible, if you can't see the baby, and you can't see
your nipple.  Constantly being told to bring my baby to my breast,
resulted in weeks of agony of "left a bit, right a bit, fire"
instructions via my husband, and one especially bad idea by attempting
to latch on using a mirror.

Had I known about biological nursing, it would all have been taken care
of, by me lying back and letting the baby do the work, I'm sure.  He did
it in the hospital within seconds of birth, and if I'd just known to
keep letting him do it... oh how much anguish could have been avoided!

But bring baby to breast was just a nightmare for us.  :-)  Letting the
breast settle to its natural point and then bringing the baby to it,
sounds wonderful on paper.  But when your nipple is actually pointing to
the floor in that position, and your baby is below your eyeline (and
nearly out of your arm's reach) the 'on paper' version suddenly has a
few faults!  :-)

Morgan Gallagher