Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2001 14:05:10 +0000

>Perhaps, instead of using the too-easy 3 or 4 ounce preprepared bottles,
>hospitals should use powder.  Each baby's bottle would need to be
>prepared individually before feeding.  Each baby would have its own can
>of powder and bottle of water.  This way the mom will go home with a
>more realistic picture of bottle feeding and the nurse will have an
>opportunity to be sure mom REALLY knows how to prepare the formula!
>
>Winnie

In a few (only one I am sure of) maternity units here, the formula
feeding mothers have to bring in their own gear from home - powder,
steriliser, the lot. The hospital does not provide any of this stuff.

For years, mothers here have had to bring in their own toiletries for
themselves, their own sanpro, nappies for the babies...so it's only a
little step further to say 'bring in formula too' for those who
choose to.

There is, I gather, an emergency supply of formula on hand for those
who haven't brought it, and who choose to use it  alongside bf.

Seems to me to be very sensible....and it would be good practice,
too, but boy, it's controversial.  Not among mothers - no one has
asked them, as far as I know - but among some midwives.

Guess what their objection is?

I'll give you a clue.

It's because of something the formula feeding mothers would be 'made
to feel' and it begins with 'G'.

; )

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcastle upon Tyne UK