Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:35:03 -0500
I am wanting some suggestions for assisting a male infant in transitioning
from a nipple shield to his mother's truly inverted nipples. The nipples
will evert while baby is feeding through the shield, then as soon as he
eagerly attempts the breast the nipples turn inward and he is frustrated. I
suspect that if he had never had bottles or a shield he would have
concluded that what he had is good enough, but such is not the case.

I have had good outcomes in clients who are using a shield and were working
to get the baby to the breast. But most of the mothers have nipples that
baby can grasp.

If you have never had a client whose baby made such a transition I will
talk with the mother about settling in with the shield, but I am one who
never says "never."

So what is your experience?

Pat Gima, IBCLC
Milwaukee, Wisconsin