From:
Jan Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 1995 08:49:23 -0400
Leslie,

Great article in the JHL (again, I don't remember which one) Kathy A - you're
needed here) about using the plunger end of a syringe (cut off the hub, turn
the plunger around and put it in the cut end so the smooth end can be put
against the nipple area), and have the mom pull the plunger.  It helps pull
the nipple out; she uses the pressure for about 30 seconds.  If there is
pain, she stops.  She can do it as much or little as needed - it is quick,
easy & cheap.  Some moms will do it just before putting the baby to breast -
takes about 30 seconds total.  In the article, which was from India, they
used a 10 cc syringe, but I think they are too small.  I like 12 to 20 cc
depending on the size of the mom's nipples.  With using the syringe I explain
how to do it, and make sure we are waiting until the doc says it is OK
(usually about 38 weeks), though I'm not convinced it will do any harm or
stimulate labor.

Denise,
My personal opinion is that unless the OB has told the mother NO SEX and NO
BREAST PLAY during pregnancy, that the minimal amount of stimulation breast
shells are going to give is moot.  Intercourse stimulates orgasm which
produces oxytocin in quantities a lot greater than 30 seconds of nipple
rolling!  But when was the last time physicians routinely proscribed sex for
their patients until 38 weeks?  Has any one ever had a case where a normal
healthy patient with no history of preterm labor and no predisposing factors
went into preterm labor because they did nipple roll & tug or wore br.
shells?  Has a truly scientfic study been done on this?  Or are we making
educated guesses and being routinely paranoic once again?

Bye for now.  Cloudy.  chilly.

By the way, Judy Levy mentioned marigolds and the scientfic name being
caluenda - is it the same ingredient that is in the cream?  Is there anything
in the cream that indicates we SHOULDN"T use it on sore nipples?  Any
precautions we need to take with it?  I for one would like to learn more
about this sort of stuff....

Jan B.