From:
Valerie Mcclain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Aug 1999 08:02:54 -0700
After my post on pumps, I realize that you may wonder about why I say
what I say.  I never truly introduced myself, I just jumped into the
flow of the "conversations."  I was a LLLL for 10 years(retired now),
went into private practice when I got my IBCLC, then worked for the WIC
Program for 4 years, and now back in private practice.  I have done home
visits for more than 10 years.  During the years I was in WIC, I
averaged about 2-5 home visits a week.  That experience was intense and
eye-opening.  I started questioning everything I thought I knew about
lactation.  I virtually stopped using sns's unless the mom had already
been given one. I taught as many women as I could to hand-express, etc.
This experience taught me the uselesness of bfing equipment for mother's
without resources.  Does she have a stove, running water?  Does she live
on the street.  When you see that mom, it maybe the only chance you have
to educate her on breastfeeding(because she will move, phone
disconnected, etc.)  I couldn't leave equipment with someone when I knew
that follow-up is questionable.

My practice has changed over the years because of these experiences and
I do question the use of bfing equipment because of it. Valerie W.
McClain