From:
Arnetta Dailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 23:38:46 EST

Looking for policy/protocol for breastfeeding in NICU when both mom  and baby
are colonized with MRSA.

This is not a problem in well baby as we have private rooms, however, in  our
special care nursery moms are only separated by a thin screen.  The  question
has been asked as to whether this is "safe" for the other moms and  babies in
the nursery to breast feed in our open nursery when the only  separation
being a thin screen for these kids.

Now when mom holds her baby, she  must gown and glove and, of  course, baby
is in isolation in isolette until discharge.

I want to change this if possible to all moms in our SCN will be allowed to
breastfeed in our unit.

The biggest problem I see right now is that these moms are not allowed to
give their baby practice time at the breast so breastfeeding is really  delayed.
 Along with the fact that skin to skin is discouraged since mom  must be in a
isolation gown when she visits.

ARNETTA  DAILEY RN IBCLC