From:
Linda Rosetti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 1995 10:12:33 -0400
Ruth,
For your mom who can't get baby to latch.You're right to suggest lots of skin
to skin.  Have you tried nipple shells or pumping just before feeding.  I've
avoided finger feeding lately as I've had a few that have gotten as stuck on
this as a bottle.  At the ILCA conference this summer their was a wonderful
talk about bathing with baby to aid with difficult latch problems.  I have
seen this work and if nothing else the mom and baby have a greast time.  Have
mom try it when baby is rousing, and try is once or twice a day over several
days.  Babies get real sucky doing this.

Good luck
Linda Rosetti RN, IBCLC
Clarkston, Wa. [log in to unmask]