From:
Hans Aulmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 15:01:24 +0500
Hello Lactnetters,
After my morning Monday,at work I feel like a 'dairy maid' HOWEVER there are
now 4 babies who" wouldn't drink Mrs Robyn" and after  my exploding 'cause a
baby last week who wouldn't drink was given 25% Glucose feed of 10mls, and
others had had green tea and other tea concoctions in that  first 24 hours
by spoon, It would appear the staff left the babies all weekend for me on
Monday!!!
First baby was a poor wee mite of day 5 of 2kg, who was dehydrated,
jaundiced and running a fever of 100 degrees F. For which the staff had
started Panadol syrup!!  Mother it would appear when she said at Day 3 baby
wasn't getting some feed,'no milk' was given Maxolon 10 MG TDS to stimulate
lactation. Latching was not the problem,as 'he seemed not able to attach to
two watermelons',(it was the staff not using some common science). After
expressing 40mls from the first side, he was gavaged the first 20mls, very
sleepy and appeared not to attempt to suck when fixed,AND seemed
uninterested in spoon or cup,Hey presto he came to life-. The next 20 was
taken rather rapidly. 'Spagettied'  from the syringe and still mouthing went
on the breast for a feed till asleep!!!  The other side with hot packs and
massaged, expressed for relief.

Baby no 2 and 3.(2.4 and2.5 kg mo both P2) As usual, babies had been taken
from Mum's post delivery and bathed weighed and handed around the relatives.
The old Green tea with sugar trick and the glucose treatment by Ma in Law,
seems to have gone astray on these two,both were on the verge of jaundice
and dry! Relatives went to the bazaar for a can of formula this morning,
however they appear not to have had 'the where with all' or time to make it
up. So the baby would cry and as Mums(told) she has 'no milk', didn't
attempt to feed, so the baby was rocked to sleep!!! for last 24-30 hours.
After expressing both mums and giving the NO MILK(Ghutti== colostrum) to
'now interested babies'(with Ma i law shaking her head) they both breast
feed and [under a threat of death, if relatives moved them]were left by s
sides they feed on demand a further couple of times before I finished shift.

The last of the four 'troublesome' tots who was 36 hours old, LUSCS(G5 p4),
I expressed the mum, who kept shaking her head, saying very vocally,'no
milk' and 30 mlsish each laterby spoon, the babies were almost purring, as
they lay looking up at Mums- almost saying by the look 'You silly goose,God
gave you milk for me'. The Pakistani Muslem women 'are different' to teach
about BF and as the whole ward shared everyones business, it becames a
"scream to see", as it was translated that their baby each needed the first
'God given Ghutti(colostrum)' to help baby's tummy and do pooh and 'best of
all' help him breath,his brain grow and 'to grow strong' to be good
Pakistani. After half an hour of shrill conversation, everyone was satisfied
they understood, the staff finally appeared(come to rescue me) to find out
why I was in the midst of all this noise.
They the mothers relatives and the M-I-L(Old ladies having 'alot' of Power)
and MOTHERS, they in  spoke in Urdu, Punjabi, Baluch and what ever else was
spoken, 'told' the staff Nurse!
It was like Ashtons' Circus-clowns and bands!!!!
Until next time, when this happens!!! Looks like I won one round for Breast
feeding.
I spent the rest of the shift with 2 Primips and their babies, who were both
BF so beautifully(hands off), after I demonstrated the Football hold and how
to wrap babes in, Chin to chest and ignore the noise.Babes did the latch
trick themselves! Attached purfectly.
Hope you all don't mind but am trying to prove a point.

 Babies are ready, when babies are ready, if encouraged and mums supported
in most cases within 24 hours and no longer!!! Cues are important! Recording
and staff care are essential too!

Thanks for listening via the Electronic waves,
Robyn Aulmann RM FACM,
Quetta Pakistan.
By the way we had scattered rain at last and there are a few green shoots
before winter!
'Praise God from whom all blessings flow!