From:
lisa mooney RN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 06:16:24 EDT
Dear Lactnetters, In regards to the questions about the effects of
hypoestrogenemia  during lactation.  I am planning on going back in the fall
to begin a program for ND, Naturopathic Doctor, so my knowledge base is just
beginning to develop. However, it would seem to me that from what little I do
know that synthetic hormones are not selective in their binding to receptors,
so lack specificity  and tend to oversaturate, hence more side effects then
the hormones found in wild yams or soy ?    Vaginal Atrophy is caused by the
cornified or "tough" layer of the epithelieum from being lost due to lower
levels of estrogen.  Remifemin (black cohosh) works similarly to estriol to
restore a thickening , as have dandelion leaves and oat straw , taken orally.
Although in Tom's book Black Cohosh can potentially cause decreased milk
supply b/o it's estrogenic effects and it does have some s/e's for the mom.
The same thing with soy products I would assume the isoflavones would bind to
estrogen receptor sites and assist in decrease of symptoms of vaginal
dryness, but may have the same effect of decreasing the milk? Is this the
accepted thought ? Christiane Northrup recommends Creme da La Femme, an oil
based lubricant or Sylk made from kiwi fruit for vaginal lunrication..Just
some suggestions. Estriol I also thought had very little systemic effect if
applied locally? Does Remifemin come in a salve form for local application  ?
Inquiring minds.....Lisa Mooney RN BSN (soon to take the IBLCE..)