From:
Judy Ritchie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 00:46:07 -0800
If our nations health insurance companys view pregnancy as a medical
condition,

then I think that the HIPPA privacy rules would apply regarding not
sharing a patients

medical condition or status with a third party.

Could this reasoning be used to stop doctors offices from giving out
this private

patient information?

In order to circumvent HIPPA, mothers would be asked to sign a release
or opt out

of the privacy act.  Writing Health and Human Services and CMS, formerly

Medicare and Medicaid may result in them warning physicians that sharing
patients

names put them on formula company lists without their permission means
they are

out of compliance with HIPPA.

Just a thought.

Just having a state Medicaid processing number for selling breast
prosthesis and

mastectomy bras makes us obligated to comply with HIPPA for DME, durable

medical equipment.  We suppliers, just like doctors, are afraid to be
censured

for HIPPA violations.

Judy Ritchie