From:
Kathy Dettwyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 1997 07:23:08 -0600
Mia writes:
The
doctor's nurse has called the mom twice to remind her not to bf, that it is
hurting the toddler, and that, there is no benefit to bf a child this age and
now is a good time to wean.  "We know how you La Leche people are, but..."

Mia, tell the mom to tell the nurse that she obviously doesn't keep up with
the research literature, as there is NO EVIDENCE that breastfeeding a child
ever hurts it (unless the mother has HIV), and that there is NO EVIDENCE
that the benefits of breastfeeding ever cease and there IS EVIDENCE that 2.5
years is the MINIMUM amount of time that humans are designed to be
breastfed, with plenty of evidence that 6-7 years is probably the natural
age of weaning.  Refer them to my publications, if you wish, or tell them to
feel free to contact me directly by e-mail.

Katherine A. Dettwyler, Ph.D.
Texas A&M University