From:
MichaelCallahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 17:53:09 -0500
Dear Anonymous LC,

 Have you thought of creating a new mothers breastfeeding support group.  In
new york city we have a few
groups run by LC's that meet on the weeks that LLL dosen't have a meeting. I
think LLL only meets once a month in most areas. New mothers need a place to
meet that supports bf other times of the month. Some LC's charge for these
groups.  This might help create some word of mouth about your role as a
lactation professional,and create the opportunity to leave flyers or
brochures in Dr's office,  Childbirth educators, bf educators.  At the same
time it allows the community to get to know your worth.  As we all know, the
scope of LLL  phone advice and once a month meetings can only take problem
solving and support so far. Let your advertisments inform the community
about what you do differently; home visits, follow up, report to MD, "new
mothers group" etc...    It's a tough path but a RN can carry a more medical
authoritian tone to educate if needed. I think most people are taught to
take advice seriously  from someone with medical initials at the end of
their name.( Whether they know anything of the subject or not). In your
practice and community, you might have to take advantage of the RN since you
have them along with IBCLC, and I assume you know your stuff!

Good Luck,
Ruth Callahan
Doula Care, NYC