From:
Linda Volkovitsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 1996 13:45:09 -0400
Dorothy wrote:

Why are we still discussing foremilk and hindmilk?
Peter Hartmann's research has shown that there isn't really much
change in the fat content of milk during a feeding.  In other words
the foremilk/hindmilk theory is just a myth.

Now, I do remember this discussion and think that was indeed the
conclusion.  Then I remember "foremilk/hindmilk" imbalance and there was
"oversupply colic" as well.  When I was trained as a NM counselor, we all
subscribed to the fore/hindmilk theory and said the baby was getting too
much foremilk and not enough hindmilk, hence the gassy and unhappy baby.
The recommendation was to nurse one side per set number of hours (one side
for all feeds in 4 hrs, then other breast for next 4 hrs, etc).  If all
milk, "fore" and "hind," are the same, then how does this work?  What
causes the colic symptoms and what clears them up?  I'll be going nomail
soon for a trip, but look foward to reading your wisdom from those
marvelous archives!

Linda V., who is showing her ignorance today in frigid Philadelphia