Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:50:32 EST

Corrine reports from the  Ask Dr. Sears website:

<<"Warning -  gentian violet has been used for many years to treat thrush. A
recent study  done in Australia has linked gentian violet to cancer of  the
mouth.>>

I've not seen this particular  study.  Can any of our Lactnetters in Oz
comment on it?  I'd love to  see a copy of it.  I'd love to know in particular, how
much gentian violet,  percentage, how often & how long it was used to cause
cancer of the  mouth.  Or is it similar to the "tumor in the rat" study in
which the poor  rat consumed something like 600x its weight in gentian violet and
then they  finally found a strange tumor???

Jan Barger, RN, MA, IBCLC
_www.lactationeducationconsultants.com_
(http://www.lactationeducationconsultants.com)
"I  would rather live my life as if there is a God and to find out there
isn't, than  live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is."
Pascal