From:
laviolle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:32:13 -0500
Here is an explanation I heard about the vitK deficiency in newborns :
Vit K is synthetised in the lower intertine by some bacteria. Babies in the
"cave" situation usually come into contact  with these bacteria during a
vaginal birth through some contact with mother's feces and not so clean
hands. Today in our clean situation babies don't get that opportunity,and
also very often mothers are given antibiotics during pregnancy or babies
are given them very soon, and that destroys the bacteria responsible for
the synthesis of Vit K . So we have a situation where our clean environment
( which i would not give up) has a drawback.
I have met two kinds of pediatricians on this issue, those who will discuss
individual needs of vit K, and those who have had a devastating experience
of a baby with intracranial hemorraghe who will give the vit K no matter
what.
Now my question : In France , all newborns are given Vit K by mouth at
birth (our fight is to get the nurses not  to give it in a bottle with
water) and then breastfed babies  are given a dose weekly as long AS LONG
AS THEY ARE EXCLUSEVELY  BREASTFED. But of course, in France most doctors,
when they write their prescription , don't imagine that a baby can be
exclusively breastfed for more than 2 months !
The problem is that the mothers are quite lost,doctors too, and breastmilk
is somewhat perceived as devaluated . Is there another country which has
the same policy, and then how long is the vit.K given ?
Thank you for any input on that issue which is quite controversial here.

Gisele Laviolle LLLL, IBCLC