From:
"Henry, Felicia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 14:51:25 -0800
I am behind on my e-mail (as usual) but this thread keeps jumping out at me.
Yes, a baby can gain that slowly and not have any malabsorption problems or
supply issues.  As long as output is where it should be.

My wonderful daughter (who is now 10) gained like this.  She was born
weighting 9 lbs 7 oz and at 18 months (yes 1 8 months) she finally doubled
her birthweight - or close enough to call it a doubling - she weighed 18
lbs.  I would take her in for her check ups, see the small weight gain and
comment that I changed more weight than that in dirty diapers.  Once she hit
3 months she would only poop once a week (a weeks worth in about 20
minutes - we just kept putting a new cloth diaper under her).  She walked at
12 months, handled stairs by 15 months and was ahead on development charts.

At 10 she now weighs around 50 lbs, is very petite but then so was I and my
mother.  She is still is a picky eater.  But as an infant would nurse for
5 - 10 mins at a time (could not switch nurse or she would lose interest
competely in nursing) and would only nurse for food, not comfort (until 18
months of age, then nursed until a little over 4).

It was a bit disturbing since she went from somewhere in the 90's of
percentiles on the chart to below the percentiles (wondered if there was
such a thing as a negative percentile), her growth curve matched the chart -
it was just below all of the percentile lines.  No health problems or other
issues, she is just destined to be a small framed person.  But her
cheerleading team likes her, she is very easy to lift for the top of the
towers and such they make.

Felicia Henry
Bradley Instructor
LLLL
Mom of 4 - all of whom gained a bit slowly.