Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 1999 08:30:43 EDT
Lisa mentioned the information on breastfeeding in emergencies that was
presented at the LLLI conference. ILCA has a position statement on Infant
Feeding in Emergencies that is available from the office or can be downloaded
from the ILCA web site at ilca.org. This statement may be of help if anyone
is dealing with this issue in any manner.

I had a call two weeks ago from a nurse at our local community hospital who
received a call from a pediatrician working in one of the refugee camps in
Kosovo. He was asking for instructions on relactation. A good many of the
babies in this camp had dysentery from the water used in their formula
bottles. While we are not surprised about this, my question to the nurse was
to ask the pediatrician why there were no breastfeeding experts on the relief
team?

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA