Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2008 23:03:46 GMT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Hi Phyllis,
I understand that this baby cannot feed directly from the breast but could mother's milk be used rather than the regular formula that's currently part of the mixture prescribed for the baby?  If amount of protein in the diet is the concern then doesn't the Similac have as much as the breastmilk?  This isn't going to prevent the loss of the breastfeeding relationship but it might be some consolation to the mom if she can still provide some breastmilk.
Marcia McCoy

Phyllis wrote: ""My questions are moot now. Because baby's labs show he is still acidotic, the order is to completely stop breastfeeding. He was getting too much protein. So they are still trying multiple nipples, still using the NG tube, and still trying to create a formula he can tolerate and that will properly treat his metabolic acidosis. 

He was diagnosed at least 3 months ago and was put on I-Valex-1 then, but he fought the feeds so hard, mom always ended up breastfeeding. He has been hospitalized before this (2-3 times I think) for acidosis because mom has been unable to get baby to take the special formula. 

He's over 14 lbs and fights the bottle and the formula really hard. I suppose she could hog-tie baby, but how do you hold his head still and make him swallow something that makes him gag? This is not an approved parenting practice! Yes, I know that.

Latest formula is a mixture of I-Valex-1 plus ProFree plus Similac."

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2