From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 May 2005 18:09:31 -0500
Please do a search through the archives for previous discussions on the
title of certified BF counselor. These titles are not the same as IBCLC and
it demeans our profession for "certified BF educators" or "counselors" to be
doing the same work as IBCLCs. There is good information on the IBLCE web
site about alternative certifications and why they are not the same as
IBCLC.

The other reason I do not recommend getting lesser certification and then
using this title to do paid lactation consultations or being used by the
hospital to attract mothers to deliver there is I get calls from many women
who say the "lactation consultant" at the hospital or who sold her a pump
tried but couldn't help her so she really questions the knowledge and skills
that the IBCLC would use. The hospital person or pump dealer is not IBCLC,
and appears to have very low skills from what is reported to me. The mom has
no clue as to what any of these titles mean.

Yet, even though this person is not IBCLC, she is promoted as being "so
helpful to BF mothers" (and perhaps in some situations she is). But the
truth is she doesn't have the skills to do the job. This is one reason why I
stopped doing PPLC work -- so I apologize if I sound a bit mean. Around
here, this has caused moms to devalue IBCLCs and refuse to pay for quality
help after getting poor help somewhere else.

My advice is tell your boss to support you in becoming an IBCLC first and
foremost.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC