Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 2015 21:00:34 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
1. I have noted this phenomena for many years but never has it really been that concerning to me until the last year or so. It appears that so many mothers feel they have to compress their breasts will feeding all of course thinking they have low supply or baby does to empty breast. I find that often his is breaking the baby’s latch. Many moms complain of bruised breasts or sore hands from doing this. I have been looking up the science or research of breast compressions and cannot seem to see much in the way of actual research. There is some notation around this with pumping but any real reason to do this while the baby is feeding. It my put the breast a bit deeper into the oral cavity and allow for a better seal but that is hypothetical. has anyone seen actual research. Were mothers doing this in traditional societies. I have been to some countries were breastfeeding is the norm and mothers were gently stroking their breast. Thought?

2. I have a young client in my clinic who has a suck that is quite different both on bottle and breast. I did not see this infant until around the  2-3 weeks. baby had a lip and TT done around day 9 and the tongue stretches well and does cup fairly well although releases constantly. Let down is not rapid, intact is probably on the low side. not gaining weight unless getting topped up in various manners.. While bottle feeding in the paced manner so suck, swallow and breathing sequence is noted, the bottom jaw seems to drop down although the tongue stays cupped. It really is different from anything I have seen in some time? Thoughts on this as well?

Attie Sandink

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2