Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 22:24:21 +0000
>> I think we should recognize that there is no definitive
>answer that says breastfeeding will not transmit HIV to an infant. <
>
>True.  There is also no definitive research that shows that *not*
>breastfeeding
>(exclusively) shows any *decrease* of the transmission risk to the baby.
>
>(Remember, the Cousoudis study, the FIRST AND ONLY  study in this area to
>study
>a group of exclusively breastfed babies, found an addition postnatal
>transmission rate of HIV-1 from mother to baby of ZERO).
>
>Whatever one feels one would do oneself if one were in this situation, I would
>go to the wall for women to have the right to choose.

And so would I.  I hate the idea that governments, health authorities,
hospitals and who knows what else have top level meetings to decide who is
and who isn't going to be 'allowed' to breastfeed....this is just the same
sort of arrogant repression as the policy which 'allows' mothers and babies
to be together an hour after birth, or which 'allows' rooming-in, or
whatever.

It's a matter of good old fashioned civil liberties.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc Newcstle upon Tyne UK