From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 22:39:27 -0400
Since I was the one recommending pumping as often as she would nurse, I
wanted to make a couple of extra comments based on Deena's suggestion of
more flexibility.  I agree that we need to make the situation as workable
for this mom as possible, but my understanding was that she is already
pumping at work, so unless the training session provides for fewer breaks
than her regular work, I don't see how this recommendation would be harder
for her.  I also agree that, with enough commitment, things could work out
just fine on her return.  But I'm not so sure that we can compare Deena's
situation with her 15 month old to this.  At 2 months, my guess is that
longer intervals between pumping would put this lady at risk for plugged
ducts and even mastitis, and I wonder if her milk supply would recover as
easily from an interruption at this early stage.  Perhaps those with more
experience could give us a sense of the likelihood of this mom running
into problems if she didn't try to pump frequently enough.  Cheers, Alicia
Dermer, MD, IBCLC.