From:
Fiona Dionne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 18:02:26 -0400

>I usually tell moms that the pacifier, while generally not needed by
>breastfed babies, is occasionally a useful tool. I stress that it should not
>be used until after the first few weeks have passed, and only if baby is
>otherwise nursing well. I also discuss how easily the pacifier can go from
>useful tool to plug, and encourage mom to use this tool judiciously if at
>all

I agree.  Paci's, swings, baby mobiles to look at (etc.) are all tools
that can have their occasional useful moments without being overly
abused.  A friend of mine, also with Allaitement Québec who has 4 kids
(all nursed so far between 2 and 4 yrs) has a car screamer for #4.  He
also nursed really poorly to begin with (spent the first 3 days just
licking the nipple, and had to learn slowly to nurse).  Once he had been
nursing WELL for a few weeks, and was well past 6 weeks, his mom did get
him a paci.  She ONLY uses it in the car, and he is another baby that
has understood that we should nurse every 20 min or so during the hour,
LOL.  ;-)  The mom has no troubles with this, except of course in the car.

So...he gets a paci for 5-10 min. (until he falls asleep) maybe 2-3
times a week if she's not going out much, a few more times (maybe twice
a day or a bit more) if she goes out more often.

In my humble opinion that is NOT a major abuse scenario.  ;-)  In that
case it is a useful tool for her nerves in the car, that is all.

Fio.
ressource person with Allaitement Québec
Nursing Mama to Sandrine, 31 mos, and #2, 11/2002