From:
Nancy Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2005 17:58:33 -0400
Yesterday I saw a mom and her preemie twins.  The babies were born at 34
week and are now three weeks old and both still under 5lb.   They seem to be
nursing well and gaining slowly.   Mom has sore nipples, and says that they
babies nurse almost non-stop.   I checked positioning and we worked on latch
a bit.   The funny thing is, one of the babies has a very tight frenulum.
The other's oral anatomy is just fine.  It's the one that does NOT have the
tight frenulum that hurts mom when he nurses.   I think that we got that
pretty well worked out by correcting positioning.

What I am wondering about is this; could having a tight frenulum, even with
good nursing, no nipple trauma or pain, lead to the baby not having his
sucking needs satisfied?    This baby needs to suck almost all the time.  He
nurses till he falls asleep.  Sleeps for about 5 to 10 minutes and wants to
nurse again.  When he is not nursing he is rooting.   He has plenty of wet
and poopy diapers.   Any thoughts on this?

Mom successfully nursed her 13 year old daughter who has a tight frenulum
with no problems.

Nancy Sherwood
BA, IBCLC
Reston, Virginia, USA