From:
"Lind, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Oct 1997 22:47:41 -0800
Hi, I need some help with a case.  Reciently in our center a mom came in
with a 3 week old, unable to gain  back to birth weight.  Noted mom had a
lower supply than the needs of the baby, baby fussy at the breast, and took
'hours' to nurse.  Also on exam noted that baby had a high palate.  Got mom
pumping with a good pump, fenugreek, and helping her to position baby at
breast with SNS.   Mom is a L&D nurse, and is very committed to breastfeed.
After a week, baby will nurse, with swallowing, but only 36cc intake with
both breast (baby 8lb 1 oz at this time),  Mom getting tired of SNS at
breast, so introduced finger feeding, baby took 30cc.  Mom notesm at home
baby will suck, and slide off the breast or not hold a good suction for a
long time.  We are using the 'nipple sandwich' and dancer hold when mother
can handle it.  Any other suggestions.  Mom is very committed, is getting
very warn out,  and we would like her to develope success for her
situation.  She started using a passifier, I told her of the cautions of
this with her situation.  Any input would be helpful.
                                                 Thanks   Teri lind, IBCLC