Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 12:17:26 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Kerri wrote:
"I think the premies that we are talking about are mainly the extreme ones, around 24 weekers and with very low birth weights 500g or so." 

Maybe where you work.  The recent case I posted about, (and received wonderful responses, thank you) ONE 35 week twin, 4'14" at birth received HMF and is still receiving them now at home--adjusted age 38 weeks, they instructed mom to keep using them.  I DO NOT believe they were prescribed for the twin (4'8" at birth, no NICU).

I wonder if any of the Human Milk Banks are making HMF with donated breast milk?  
I don't know much about the process of making them so I may be WAY off base.  IF the process is "cleansing" enough (for lack of a better term) could donor milk which is ineligible for distribution be used to make the HMF.  I'm talking about milk where the mom took Motrin or milk dated before phone intake or something like that.  Milk close to it's "expiration" date.  Maybe even batches of milk that culture for something or other that would be inactivated in the process of converting to HMF.  Just curious.

Dawn Martin
Austin, TX

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2