Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 15:08:46 EST
I realize that starting an IV on a newborn is an invasive procedure for
hypoglycemia, and we only use it IF the blood sugar is not recovering with
colostrum and a little D10 in the SNS at the breast.  There are some nurses,
however, who believe that formula should be given BEFORE starting an IV if
the blood sugar is not recovering with the D10 and colostrum.  Their
rationale is that an IV is invasive and separates mom and baby.  Isn't
formula also INVASIVE?  What are the long term effects of an IV, say for 24
hours, vs. the long term effects of introducing formula....like decreased bf
duration rates, autoimmune response, message to mom that her milk is
insufficient alone, and all the other health risks associated with formula
supplementation.  Would like everyones thoughts on this one.  Thanks.  Loni
Denman, RN, IBCLC   P.S.  If a baby gets an IV in our hospital, it usually is
only for blood sugars not recovering with D10 and colostrum, and the baby
still stays in the room with the parents to keep going to the breast.