From:
Deborah V Barr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 08:55:39 -0700
I agree with Chris.  The dairy industry has done an excellent job of
marketing their product.  But, it seems to me that we may be going
overboard with the milk-bashing (maybe because it is the one food that is
most easily compared to human milk).

For people who tolerate dairy products (and there are people out there
who can drink/eat dairy without problems), dairy products can be a
*part* of a varied and balanced diet starting in childhood.  No, dairy
products are not *necessary*, but neither do they need to be routinely
excluded if they are well tolerated by the individual.   For children who
are still growing their brains, fat can be obtained for a variety of sources
(and better if it is from a variety of sources), breastmilk included, dairy
products included.

For people who choose not to eat dairy, calcium can be obtained from
other dietary sources.  IMHO, balance, variety and moderation are the
keys to good health.

And I can't help but ask - why aren't we just as upset about the
marketing of animal flesh?  The marketing of alcohol?  Okay, I'll stop and
get off my soapbox now.

Debi VanderMey Barr, MS, RD/LD
Portland, Oregon
(whose tolerance of dairy is in my genes from a long line of Dutch dairy
farmers...)