From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 13:13:47 -0800
Hi Kathy- I dunno if this is off topic or not either.  :-)  But I just
read Midwives after my dh picked it up for me a couple weeks ago.  I
had been afraid to read it earlier because I thought it was
non-fiction and I thought it took place a century ago.  Instead it's
fiction, and takes place in 1980.

I liked it.  From what I could tell, it seemed accurate.  The midwife
loves babies, and sticks around after hte birth to make certain
breastfeeding is going well.  There were a few parts during hte trial
that bugged me;  mostly when the judge asked that nursing mothers
leave the courtroom to nurse.  He was afraid of distractions.    :-(
How 'bout the distraction of women coming and going constantly?  There
was a funny scene in which a reporter was interviewing the nursing
moms (clients of the midwife on trial who were there for support) and
they were studiously doing their best to not look below chin level of
the women.  Hee Hee.

I'm in the middle of "Barn Blind" by Jane Smiley.  Kate (Mother) at
one point is telling a story of an event that occurred during her
eldest son's infancy and she mentions that she nursed all of her
children "well into their second year".  I recall some positive
mentions of nursing in "Moo" as well.

I *do* try to write up reviews on Amazon.com, btw.  I don't do it as
often as I could because I dont' want people to get sick of seein gmy
opinions there.  :-)  OTOH, I do find that writing a quick blurb on a
just finished book can bring a nice sense of completion to the book.
I read *a lot* and buy books even more often.  :-)  Usually used and
if I've read a really good used book I've wondered about sending the
author some money so s/he could get some "royalties" but don't know
how to do it.  Any thoughts on that, author Kathy?  (and how is that
next book coming?)

Of course there are some books I really want to buy "royalty to the
author free" such as "Babywise", "Prep", "growing kids god's way",
"Reflections on Moral Innocence"......  you know.  :-)

==

Kate Hallberg, mom to Ursula (wow! 4) and Sage (1.5)
http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina
* If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ridge/8193/