From:
Mandy O'Reilly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 01:41:34 -0500
Dear Kirsten and all

Firstly a happy New Year to you all from Indonesia.

With regard to your question on re the mother with a 32 week old pumping
immediately.

I have come across this perspective in Australia. One of the hosiptals I
worked in had a policy that you could not use the pump until the milk had
come "in" on the third day. When I enquired about this noone could give me a
sound reason. My personal opinion is that it really depends on the women and
the circumstances and the reason for expressing.

I discussed this with Prof Hartman recently and he was telling me about
a collegue in the US (sorry I don't remember precise names - come on
somebody help me!) who had been doing research on breastmilk output of
mothers who had delivered premature or sick babies and found that if the
women is allowed/encouraged, to start pumping as soon as possible,(don't
leave it for later) and to use a pump for a minimum of 6 times in the  first
24hrs, their longterm output was better than other women who were left or
told to hand express. This concurs with my own personal experience.

Kind Regards

Mandy O'Reilly
IBCLC
nurse midwife