From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 09:44:18 -0700
Hoorah for you, Alice, and for the store (you may print this for them if you
want).  I have done similar things with great success.  I, too, believe it
is our professional and moral duty to be activists in this area.
Unfortunately, there are many out there who don't agree and think we should
stick to our offices or moms' bedsides (none of you on LN, of course).  Have
you had much in the way of commentary from fellow LCs or other HCPs?  As a
public health professional, I have long struggled with the conflict that
one-to-one support/education has an impact, but a very limited population.
Indeed, the larger community and the media has an almost ubiquitous presence
that both subliminally and directly impacts the health of the population.  I
encourage my friends, many of whom are MDs, RNs, DDSs or Pharmacists, to
talk to store owners about their displays for formula, tobacco, guns and
knives and other assorted  items shown to have a negative impact on health,
and in particular setting the social norms of the community.   Every
consumer has the right to do this, but we as hcps have a more influential
effect in some people's eyes.  What is the saying "Think Globally, Act
Locally"?
Warmly,
--Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC    [log in to unmask]
€€€INFANT CUISINE AND MOTHER CARE: LACTATION CONSULTING & PERINATAL CARE€€€
mom, wife, active UU church member, educator, lactation consultant,
homeschool mom, researcher, scientist, author, organic gardener,
photographer, wilderness adventurer, lapidary creator, lousy cleaner;)