From:
Judith Hayman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 May 2004 09:48:13 -0400
My health unit has just developed a resource on water used for mixing formula.  This is a good resource because we are a largely rural area and, while most people know to be careful with cistern and well water, there is great confusion about the safety of bottled water, filtered water, softened water, etc.

We have about an 87% initiation rate with the typical fairly rapid drop off by 4 months.

The agency plan is to include this information in the package that goes to all our moms postpartum.  While this information is okay for now, it should be part of a separate package that goes to folks who formula feed only, if we moving toward being a Baby Friendly community agency.  The problem is that people who decided to switch to formula won't have the resource as the postpartum contact is the single universal point of reaching moms.

Any thoughts?

Judith

Judith A. Hayman, RN, BSc, BScN, IBCLC
Public Health Nurse, Lactation Consultant
Haldimand-Norfolk Health Unit