From:
Colleen Humphreys <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 1996 02:21:01 -0500
In the studies that say that milk production and fluid intake are
unrelated, did they measure women who were adequately hydrated, under and
over hydrated, and their relative milk productions?  I am concerned
because I can tell that something is wrong when I don't drink enough.
When I had a colicly baby is was REALLY obvious.  It's hard to believe
that the amount of fluid in your body won't affect the milk supply,
though it is equally hard to believe that just increasing your fluid
intake will increase an already adequate milk supply.

 This probably varies greatly from woman to woman, just like everything
else, but I have seen so many moms who are too busy to care for
themselves, so they don't bother to "just get a drink of water".  I do
this even though I know it will affect my milk supply and will let my
fingers crack (they just don't heal, no matter what I put on them, or how
much or little I wash my hands, I just need to drink enough-lots- and
THEN they get better).  Telling women to pay attention to thirst, and
drink to it will satisfy the need and be safe.  We get lots of practice
ignoring our own needs, and thirst is an easy one to ignore, but it does
add one more stress to our lives.  I think I'd better get some more water
now...I am thirsty and I have one crack and another one threatening...

Colleen Humphreys ([log in to unmask])