Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 10:22:34 EST
Cynthia notes that Dr. Karin Caldwell says:

<<  So if a breastfed baby is going to be supplemented
 with formula it should be exclusively formula or exclusively breastmilk per
 meal.  There has been some discussion about using the low iron formula to
 supplement a breastfed baby but I am unsure of any studies on this.  The
 effect may be the same. >>

With all due respect to Karin, I totally and completely disagree with this
statement.  For one thing, it would eliminate the use of supplementers at the
breast when we are trying to get a baby supplemented.  The logic is flawed --
iron isn't the only component we are looking at here in any case; and the  two
hours (between a formula feed and a breastfeed) isn't going to make a
difference in how the gut processes the two substances any way.  If you read
Ruth Lawrence's book, she states:

"It has been suggested that mixed fedings of an infant's own mother's milk &
formula to necessary volume be calculated over a 24 hour period so that the
infant receives some mothers' milk at each feeding and a supplement of
formula, in contrast to alternating feedings or using all mother's milk until
it runs out and finishing the day with formula.  The reasoning is based on the
concept of "inoculating" every feeding with humn milk to provide the enzymes
and immunologic properties with each feeding.  Generous levels of active
enzymes in the milk will also assist in the digestion & absorption of the
formula.  The immunologic properties are less measurable, but the only known
interference with funciton is the addition of iron, which blocks the
effectiveness of lactoferrin.  Therefore the nutritional and infection-
protection properties are also spread throughout each feeding around the
clock."  (4th Ed., p. 418)

Jan