From:
friedman1 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 09:30:38 -0800
Hi, I am  CLC & LLL leader currently buried in my own personal "case" &
would love ideas / HELP... I became ill last Friday, sent my 26 month old
(nursing about every 4-5 hours, co-sleeping) to a friend's overnight & did
not pump as I was so ill & by myself; no engorgement.  Baby back Saturday,
nursed normally thru Sunday noon then to ER; admitted to hospital for
emergency surgery that night, next a.m. had appendix & my only ovary (long
story!) removed, about 1/4 inch tissue left of it. Began pumping w/ hospital
pump middle of night Sunday, every 4 hours or so to mimic baby's schedule,
got nothing (MAYBE 5-10 ml per pumping session).  Post-surgery hospital
IBCLC's boosted me to every 2 hours, still less than 20 ml TOTAL after 4-5
pumpings; began medroxyprogesterone & premarin (5 mg, 1.25 mg/day), was also
on morphine etc, lots of IV fluids next 24 hours, now on vicodan every 4-6 hours.  No food other than clear liquids till Weds p.m., still not eating very much as no appetite from stress. No increase in production.  LOTS of emotional distress!!!  Saw baby  once in hospital, did some comfort nursing, unsure if swallows.  Discharged
Thursday p.m., got home, baby nursing about every 2-3 hours (he's also ill
with stomach flu & high fever now, as if we needed MORE stress), also occasional pumping (if he doesn't nurse or isn't doing a full feed every 2 hours),
no improvement.  Heard good swallows first couple feeds, now not hearing any
tho he is still nursing away; began Reglan 10 mg 3x/day last night, pumping this a.m. got 10 ml total  then not even 5 next time & I am DESPERATE  to know what else I can do to build back up, DON't want to lose BF along with my fertility !!!!!!  Have been very emotionally upset, even tho' I know that's not helping.... any ideas would be SO greatly appreciated, to me or to the list!  (am also taking steps to get
domperidone, have not tried any herbals yet, just started Reglan as was
feeling utterly desperate to see SOME results.)  Thanks everyone!   Please post privately or to the list ... and thanks so much for the help!!!!!!
Esther Friedman