From:
Jodine Chase <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 10:24:16 -0700
This is a touching story in The Guardian about a woman's problems
breastfeeding her first child.

It's a difficult read and the story doesn't end well from a breastfeeding
perspective, but it conclusion - the successful breastfeeding of her second
child.

I have started keeping a web page with breastfeeding news items like the
ones I post here from time to time.

-- Jodine Chase
http://www.bfnews.blogspot.com/
Breastfeeding news 'blog

> He's like a little baby from Ethiopia isn't he?'
>
> Sophie Pierce on her son's 'gross failure to thrive'
>
> Tuesday December 17, 2002
> The Guardian
>
> My baby Felix was born after an emergency caesarean section, which followed an
> induced labour. He was two weeks overdue, and the doctors did not want to
> wait. In retrospect, perhaps, he wasn't ready to be born, and his subsequent
> hunger strike was some form of protest.
>
> For the first 24 hours he slept in his cot while I spent the time in a daze of
> wonder and exhaustion. The operation had been horrible, and I was in a lot of
> pain, and yet my main emotion was enormous happiness and excitement at the way
> my life had changed.
>
> The first shock of motherhood came a few hours after Felix was born. One of
> the midwives brought him to me in an attempt to "put him on the breast".

<snip>

http://www.guardian.co.uk/health/story/0,3605,861298,00.html