From:
Winnie Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2011 13:56:40 -0800
Can anyone send me the reference and number of infant deaths that could
be prevented by breastfeeding?  I seem to remember the number 600/year for the
US, but also saw a t-shirt citing a million babies could be saved (worldwide?)
but don't know the timeframe.  I need this ASAP for a letter to the editor.  Our
local (Milwaukee WI) paper is doing a weeklong report on the local health
department's efforts to reduce infant death rate.  So far there has been NO
mention of the role of breastfeeding or formula.  The Surgeon General's Call to
Action is a fantastic source (should be required reading for every health
professional who comes in contact with moms and babies!), but doesn't seem to
have this bit of info-just the increased risk for SIDS if never breastfed.
This the same health department with the atrocious antibedsharing billboard
campaign showing an adult head of a bed as a tombstone and saying "Don't let
this be your baby's final resting place".  Every death blamed on bedsharing
reported in the paper was "breaking" at least one of the guidelines for safe
sleep sharing.  The most recent reported becoming accustomed to bed sharing when
breastfeeding, but was now using formula and laid baby down on her bed while she
did something else-baby was covered with 3(!) comforters.  But of course the
death was blamed on the bedsharing! AAARRRGGG!
Winnie Mading