Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 09:34:59 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (34 lines)
Hi list members, hoping for some suggestions here.

Mom with a 6 week old . Mom has had red nipple irritation/rash like redness since 5 days pp.  Nipples were flat, and some of the irritation was contributed to the shells she was wearing and the shape of the nipple.  Baby seems to have drawn out nipple nicely, along with the shells ( no longer using) but rash is persistent. 

I suggested she check with her Ped for signs of yeast in baby and ask for treatment on her as well. Ped did not really see any signs of yeast, but went ahead and gave mom a yeast treatment ( nystatin perhaps). That did nothing. 

So Mom went to her ARNP/CNM and was given an oral antibiotic. That has not cleared it up either.  She has tried Lansinoh, Soothies, salt water dips, sun bathing and teeth gritting.

There is no IBCLC in our area, but between myself and her caregivers we are trying to help this mother. I gave her some info on the APNO and suggested she ask her ARNP, but the ARNP was not receptive to the idea.

She called today, and I am going to see her this afternoon and try to give her some ideas. She also elected to pump and dump during the 10 day course of antibiotics ( her personal preference aside from advice to the contrary) and now baby is not wanting to easily transition back. 

Mom really wants 
a) nipples to feel better and
 b) baby to get back to breast

I feel as a peer counselor/CLE I can help with some transitioning/positioning the baby back to a good latch, but have no idea what to tell her about the persistent nipple rash/pain.

Mirine Dye, CCE, CLE
Childbirth and Lactation Educator in the Fab Fla Keys

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2