Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2001 18:33:10 -0400
As I read the WHO Code, there is nothing in it about not accepting any money
from business.  The only thing is that any money comes with *no strings
attached*--no advertising, no free samples, you know it all.  That is what
most companies do (well, they expect good p.r., I suppose).  What has always
fascinated me, and those that visit the Hospital for Sick Children can
verify this in the books and plaques in the halls, is that many many
companies give lots of money to this hospital, many companies that can
really derive no benefit (except good p.r. and their name on a plaque,
though many of these companies nobody will have heard of or know what they
sell or make), companies like banks, gasoline companies, tractor
manufacturers, but never have I ever noticed that any of the formula
companies gives donations like that.  They always expect something for their
money, and they usually get it, don't they?

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC