Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 15:26:26 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (10 lines)
I am working with a mom who had her 2nd baby on Sunday October 11. Her first child, now 3 years old she was unsuccessful breastfeeding, child refused to latch and was screaming and arching to get away. She pumped briefly (about a week w/Lactina), but was unable to get much milk out with pumping. So, she quit altogether due to being overwhelmed. This 2nd baby although not arching/screaming at the breast, would not latch either (yes she had an epidural with both babies).  At 24 hours baby wouldn't open mouth for a finger and when bottle was introduced took him some time before he would suck at the bottle. At about day 3 mom reported he was doing ok with bottle, but still refused breast.  Mom has been pumping since second day with classic. She was feeling fullness at about day 3, yet was unable to remove more than an ounce from one breast and only drops from the other. She felt the milk was there, but was unable to get it out (non responsive to pump). Massage and heat have been tried. She has noticed a difference in the past few days (less fullness). Currently she double pumps every 3 hours for 15 minutes. Last night she obtained about 1/2 ounce per breast per pumping and during the day 1 ounce per breast per pumping. Getting baby to breast is now the least of my fears for her, maintaining the supply is now the worry. 

She is one who has a very strong desire to breastfeed this child most likely her last.

Any thoughts or suggestions for this mom to keep her supply going when the best pump out there won't work for her? I will be seeing her today and will go over massage, heat and hand expression. So am looking for further answers. I do not think it is an inherent low milk supply issue, just not being able to remove the milk.

Please email privately as well as the list, 
many thanks, 
Patty Murphy, S. Lake Tahoe, California (USA) [log in to unmask] 

ATOM RSS1 RSS2