From:
Debra Madonna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Nov 1999 23:47:30 -0500
PLEASE SEND THE FOLLOWING ALONG TO ANYONE WHO YOU FEEL SHOULD HAVE THIS
INFORMATION. THANK YOU
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Barbara Kennedy and I have received very supportive emails from
many people; and we've been asked several times how this could
happen:  "Doesn't ICEA's bylaws prevent this?  What are the policies and
procedures?"

 YES.  ICEA has procedures to prevent this, as does the state of
Minnesota, (ICEA is incorporated in Minnesota.)  I have included some
Minnesota statutes governing non-profit organizations at the end of this
letter.

 Barbara Kennedy and I, as well as other board members, have worked
very hard to fix the problem with ICEA's magazine and video; but we have
been refused access to all legal documents, as well as the name and number
of ICEA's attorney. Our correspondence with the president and president-
elect is being ignored.  And we've heard from several people that the
president and president-elect are now publicly stating, (what I heard them
say last summer):  that ICEA is not a breastfeeding organization.

 We've tried to figure how this all happened.  The best explanation
that we can give you is that until the finished magazines and videos were
in our hands, we thought ICEA, as an organization, stood by it's
guidelines, policies and history.

 It is so odd that:
ICEA supports the WHO code in our advertising guidelines;
ICEA supports the CIMS' "Mother-Friendly" document, which supports
the "Baby-Friendly" document;
ICEA's Position Paper on Infant Feeding is an adaptation (with permission)
of ILCA's Position Paper;
and recently ICEA endorsed Rep. Carolyn Maloney's Breastfeeding Protection
Act.

 This is why I contacted the Minnesota Atty General's office and
have filed a complaint against ICEA.

 IF YOU ARE AN ICEA MEMBER, by all means contact ICEA.  However,
several people have told us that they have not received a response to their
letters with concerns about ICEA's magazine and video.  Please send a note
to the Minn. Attorney General's office.  (Your letter (email) will be kept
CONFIDENTIAL if you mark it that way.  If you have any doubts, though, feel
free to contact Heidi Christianson first to confirm that.)  Email:

 IF YOU ARE AN ORGANIZATION that has been working with ICEA over the
years: sharing mailing lists, exhibit space, and feel that this action is
wrong, again contact the Minn. Attorney General's office.

If you would like to get in touch with  the Minnesota Attorney General's
office, contact Heidi Christianson, Asst. Attorney General, in charge of
non-profit organizations.
     Email:  [log in to unmask]
In the SUBJECT, type ICEA, and mark CONFIDENTIAL or PRIVATE.

 I will follow up with the complaint I filed with the Attorney
General's office.

 Feel free to contact us. Thanks so much.

Debra Madonna
ICEA Secretary

AND

Barbara Kennedy, ICEA Director of Education