Date:
Tue, 18 May 1999 13:11:52 -0400
        <<I had two counselling calls this week about expressing milk for
baby - both
        were distressed that they could get only small amounts - neither had
thought
        about getting a let down..........sigh. How many try to express and
think
        there's no milk - NOT that they don't have the technique right, just
that
        they have failed to produce it!

That's an issue that gets me going.  It never ceases to amaze me how women
(as I put it) "test themselves".  It's almost as if they're testing their
womanhood, or their female-ness or some such thing.  Reminds me of how some
women used to feel about C-sections.

I tell my breast-pumping clients not to "test themselves", which I define as
staring down at the breast while pumping, wondering and worrying about WHEN
she'll have a let down, IF she'll have a let down, how MUCH milk she'll get,
etc.  They play these little worry-tapes in their minds while pumping - and
I'll reenact them (in spanish of course, these are usually Hispanic moms).
I'll put the pump up to my blouse, stare down at myself and role-play a
worried-about-how-much-I'll-express mom:  "Honey, how long have I been
pumping?  Look at this, it's been nearly 10 minutes and all I've gotten out
is an ounce!  I have to go back to work next week; what am I going to do?
I'm going to have to use formula!"

It makes my point - by the time I'm done, they're laughing at themselves
over the realization that it's self-defeating to worry yourself out of a
milk-ejection reflex......
Regina Roig Lane BS IBCLC for Miami-Dade County WIC